Monday, April 16, 2007

Isaiah is Allergic to Nuts

Well...we had a very scary morning today. Dave made a shake like he usually does in the morning but today decided to put nuts on it. Isaiah always has a few sips of his shake. So he did and then came over and sat next to me while I was eating breakfast. He had a bite of my muffin and then started to spit it out like he didn't like it. He started to cough like something was stuck in his throat and then got down off the bench.

Dave was about to take him for a walk and we noticed his face had a rash around his mouth (which is not to unusual for him because he gets this from a lot of foods) but a few seconds later...his lips started to blow up and he puked everywhere.

Dave called 911 and I started looking for the Benadryl. Dave was calm and I was the one throwing medicine out of the cupboard.

It seemed like forever for the paramedics to get here....it was a least 5 minutes. We met them outside and Isaiah loved the fire truck. They took Isaiah and Dave to the hospital in the ambulance. I had to watch them drive away....it was so sad. I got changed really quick and checked on Hope. My mom told me to go to the hospital and she would call when Hope started fussing to eat. (Good thing the hospital is right down the street and my mom was here to take care of Hope).

When I got there I heard him crying and I went in and had to hold him while they took his temperature (rectal). He had hives all over his face and body and was itching his hands and crying. Then they tried to give him Benadryl....which he spit out so they had to call another nurse in. Dave had to hold Isaiah down while I blew in his face and the nurse put the medicine in his mouth. Within minutes his swelling went down and his rash was getting better. Then he was tired. I got him to sleep and then had to leave to go and feed Hope.

Dave called while I was at home and told me that Isaiah threw up again and to bring both of them a change of clothes. When I returned Isaiah was still sleeping and his face looked better. Then we were able to go home.

We gave Isaiah a bath to get all the puke off of him....and his rash looked worse. But the doctor said that it may get worse but should go away later. Isaiah was starting to scratch it so we put him down for a nap. Hopefully when he wakes up it will be gone....otherwise we will have to give him another dose of Benadryl.

It has been a very busy and scary morning! Thank you for the prayers! We will keep you posted on everything.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, how awful. I will pray that the little guy is okay after his nap. You all have been through a lot but are handling things so well. We love you all.