Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Starting Formula

Well I decided to put Hope on formula. She still has green, gooey poops and every time she toots it smells like rotten eggs. So I think she is still allergic to something I am eating. So instead of driving everyone crazy and not eating anything...we decided to start formula.

I gave her her first bottle this morning. She only drank one ounce and then was hungry again in an hour...but she has never had a bottle before or formula before so it is all new to her.

Here is the advice I have gotten so far about weaning (keep in mind that I am weaning from 10 feedings a day not 3 like with Isaiah...so I am going to be sore and in pain):

1. Give one bottle one day, two the next, three the next...and so on until she is completely on bottles.

2. Wear a sports bra so that the milk doesn't come in as much.

3. Take cold showers (yuck!) so that I don't increase my milk flow.

4. Wear ice packs before and after feedings.

5. Wear cabbage to decrease the swelling and pain.

Any other suggestions or advise would be helpful! I am going to miss feeding her though. But I feel this is what she needs. =)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Switching at least one feeding per day to a bottle and if necessay expressing a bit to alleviate the fullness/soreness. Your body will adjust and will continue to make less and less milk since there is no stimulation by nursing & just a slight bit it you need to express a bit. I know that this was a hard decision but I know she will feel your warmth and bonding as you hold and feed her with her bottle. Best wishes!

Anonymous said...

I think you should wear cabbage--that is hilarious! I can just picture it--extra milk and then, on top of that, giant cabbages..

Seriously, you are making a good decision, and I know it is hard. I pray God confirms with a really quick change so that you know you are right. Hope you feel better!

Kate said...

Hi Michele,
I had to wean about two months ago, and it was recommended to me to drink sage tea to help "dry up". I drank 3 or 4 cups a day, and it really helped. Give those cute little munchkins a kiss for me!

Anonymous said...

i have been thinking about suggestions for you---however, since i never did this--would be tough...
anyways i know it was a tough decision..but, hopefully i can be there for you---
love